MY FIREPLACE GETS A WHOLE NEW LOOK

Hi everyone! I know I’ve been MIA for a while, and I apologize for that. Earlier this year, I started a new job working at a local architecture firm. The firm does all kinds of work but mostly residential renovations and new construction. I really do love going to work each week, but it limits how much time I have to work on my own house. So I’m unable to post as often as I was, but I’m still here!!!

Today I’m going to share my most recent DIY project. I’ve started a complete makeover of our great room. This is a big project because I’m changing out pretty much everything in the room and it’s a decent size room. But the first thing I wanted to do was address my existing fireplace…

BEFORE

This is what it looked like before. It’s a standard, traditional wood mantle on a plain wall. This a common mantel style where we live. In fact, every home in our neighborhood has pretty much the exact same mantel. Boring! I wanted to change it to something more modern and interesting, something kind of like this:

source
source

Since we couldn’t afford to hire a contractor to completely change out the whole fireplace, I decided to figure out a way to DIY this project myself (with the help of my husband). I came up with a a very affordable and doable plan…

I started by completely removing the old fireplace mantel and the two baseboards that flanked it. I was happy to find there was nothing unexpected happening behind it.

With the old mantle off, it was now time to build the new fireplace wall. I drew everything out on the computer before I even started so I knew how it would all come together.

I kept the existing gas fireplace exactly as it was because I certainly wasn’t going to change that out or move it. I also decided to keep the existing stone fireplace surround because there is nothing wrong with it and I like the simple black look. Plus, keeping it the way it was simplifies the project and saves me some money.

But it did mean that before I framed out a new wall for the fireplace I needed to attach a few pieces of wood to the wall in order to create one level plane for the new wall I build to rest against.

The pink pieces are the 1×4 boards I will be adding to the wall.

I attached some 1x4s to the wall making sure to secure them into the existing studs.

Now the black stone around the fireplace sits flush with all of the 1x4s.

The next step was to basically build a new wall from 2x6s.

The orange pieces are the 2x6s I’ll be adding.

My husband and I built the new frame flat on the floor and then lifted it into place on the wall, securing it to the existing studs with screws.

The mantel will later be secured to the double 2x6s which are screwed into the wall studs.

Next, we covered the framing with plywood using a nail gun. I chose to cover the wall in plywood instead of drywall because the majority of the wall will later be covered with shiplap. The plywood went up much quicker and easier than drywall would have, and since you will hardly see any of this wall in the end, I wanted to go with the quickest and easiest option.

Planning this project out on the computer also allowed me to make sure I could place the seams in the plywood in areas that would later be covered by the shiplap.

I also trimmed down a 1”x8”x10’ piece of pine to about 6.5” wide and then cut it to frame around the fireplace opening in order to finish off that area with a clean look.

I primed everything and painted the wall with one coat of white. Note: It’s much easier to paint the wall the color you want before installing the shiplap than it is to try to paint between each crack of the shiplap after it is installed.

Now it was time to finally install the shiplap on the new wall.

I mitered the corners of the shiplap to get a modern clean corner as it wraps around the wall.

It’s starting to come together now! I then caulked and painted everything white…

The final step was to install the mantle.

I made this mantel from scratch by building a box with an open back. Then I covered it in maple wood veneer to give it a more uniform look so it looks like it’s all one piece.

The open back of the mantel will make it easy to attach it to the wall.

I stained and sealed it.

For installation, I attached some scrap wood to the wall making sure it was well secured into the double 2x6s of the frame I had made.

The mantel slides onto the wood and fits snugly which means I don’t have to secure it with any nails or screws which would mess up the clean look of the mantel.

And here is the final look with the mantel installed…

Here is a look at the Before and After side by side:

This fireplace is on a very prominent wall in this room so it was important that I got it looking how I wanted as it is the main focal point. I’m very happy with how it turned out. In total, I spent about $275 on this project. Much cheaper than hiring a contractor!!

I still need to install new taller baseboards and paint the walls white, but that will be a part of the next phase of this room makeover.

2 thoughts on “MY FIREPLACE GETS A WHOLE NEW LOOK

  1. Avatar Amy

    Such a beautiful transformation!

  2. Avatar Theda

    Nice job!!

Leave a Reply